Job Announcement: Education Program Specialist – Urban Support (Lima)
The Ohio Department of Education, Office for Exceptional Children, is seeking a dynamic individual with a passion for improving educational outcomes for diverse learners to join the Urban Support Team. The successful candidate will have experience in the field of special education and experience working in an urban setting. This position will serve Lima City Schools. The successful candidate will be headquartered in Lima and must reside in Allen, Putnam, Van Wert, Mercer, Auglaize, Hardin, Hancock or a contiguous county to one of the seven listed above.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Builds capacity in urban school districts (i.e., Akron, Canton, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, East Cleveland, Lima, Toledo, Youngstown, and Zanesville) with the focus on students with disabilities by performing the following activities including but not limited to:
- Assists in the design and implementation of effective instructional practices by providing support and technical assistance through onsite visits to improve educational services and outcomes in Ohio’s urban school districts;
- Works intensively onsite with urban school districts in the development and implementation of policies, procedures, programming, and improvement plans tailored to the needs of the district;
- Analyzes and interprets data to measure impact of supports on student performance;
- Verifies compliance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and the Operating Standards for Ohio’s Schools Serving Children with Disabilities;
- Collaborates with internal and external partners in the design and implementation of projects related to improving progress for all students;
- Develops and disseminates technical assistance resources that provide opportunities for students with disabilities and other at-risk learners to make progress in the general education curriculum;
- Develops protocols for onsite monitoring or desk reviews and prepares federal, state, and local reports;
- Assists districts with self-review summary reports and the development and completion of Corrective Action Plans and Improvement Plans as required by Special Education Profiles.
Completion of Master’s degree in one of the following areas: Education [i.e., special education, urban education, educational administration/leadership, curriculum (core academic content), assessment, cross-cultural studies, English learner (EL), psychology (i.e., school psychology, educational psychology), educational guidance/counseling]; Related Special Education Service Areas (e.g., speech language pathology) and 3 years of experience in any combination of the following:
- Education administration;
- Special education;
- Education in an urban setting.
- This position requires travel throughout State of Ohio and may require overnight stay. (Must be willing and able to secure a valid driver’s license OR supply your own transportation.)
- There is a requirement to be in Columbus at ODE on a weekly basis.
- Starting compensation for this position is non-negotiable at $27.76 hourly/$57,741 annually with the opportunity to advance in pay after 6 months.
All qualified candidates should apply at www.careers.ohio.gov no later than September 23, 2019.
The Ohio Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability (ADA), age or veteran status in employment, programs, or against individuals receiving services.