Position Title: Head of School – John Adams College & Career Academy
Job ID: R0003758
Compensation: $94,366 - $118,659
Reports to: Network Support Leader
Please submit your resume and application using our online Workday system using the following URL: https://clevelandmetroschools.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/jobs/job/John-Adams-High-School/Senior-High-Principal_R0003758
CONTEXT AND MISSION
The Cleveland Metropolitan School District (CMSD) serves approximately 39,000 students in 103 schools. Over the past several years, the Greater Cleveland community has united behind the collective goal of ensuring every child in Cleveland attends a high-quality school and every neighborhood has a multitude of great schools from which families can choose. The Cleveland Plan defines CMSD’s approach to the reinvention of public education and holds our community accountable for the success of Cleveland’s school children. The Cleveland Plan is supported by Ohio House Bill 525, which provides much-needed flexibility and autonomy for the district and its schools, as well as a school tax levy originally approved by voters in November 2012 that generates up to $63 million annually.
The Cleveland Plan is based on a portfolio schools strategy – an emerging national model with demonstrated results that profoundly changes the way central office and schools have traditionally been organized. Our schools have autonomy over human and financial resources in exchange for high quality and accountability for performance. The Principal has primary responsibility and accountability for establishing his or her school as a high-quality, high-expectations academic center with a focus on personalized instruction, professional support for teachers, and school-wide practices that lead to measurable results.
High school redesign, particularly the transformation of low-performing comprehensive high schools, is at the core of The Cleveland Plan. John Adams College and Career Academy is one of a handful of newly designed schools for the 2017-18 school year. This new school model is aligned to research-based and integrated design principles that build on student resiliency and personalization with the goal of creating high performing secondary schools that support students to meet the demands of the Common Core standards and of the workplace in the 21st Century. At John Adams College and Career Academy, we believe the principles of a high performing secondary school include:
- Integrated positive youth development
- Prioritization of mastery of rigorous standards aligned to college and career readiness
- Empowerment and support of students through key transitions into and beyond high school
- Personalization of student learning to meet student needs
- Actively engage with our families and community partners
Cleveland Metropolitan School District is seeking an innovative, motivated, strategic, and entrepreneurial individual to serve as Principal/Head of School of John Adams College and Career Academy. The ideal leader is someone who has demonstrated the ability to actively engage staff and community stakeholders through a culture of innovation, while strategically developing the competencies of stakeholders within the broader school ecosystem. She or he will be expected to establish a high-quality, rigorous academic center with a focus on personalized instruction, professional support for teachers, and school-wide practices that lead to measurable results. The successful candidate will bring a combination of proven skills in a high school leadership role coupled with the entrepreneurial disposition essential for leading the sustainable startup of a highly innovative, academically rigorous urban high school.
In keeping with the core values of a portfolio district model, the Principal is granted authority over key educational, human capital and financial decisions that affect the school community. She or he must be driven to create a premier school by setting both high-
priority goals and long-term strategies for success in building a school culture of excellence, driving results, managing performance, developing talent, and managing finances and operations.
- Deep understanding of the teaching-learning process, and how to create high-performance learning environments, particularly in the context of Ohio’s Learning Standards
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- An entrepreneurial approach to problem-solving evidence by a track record of solving complex problems
- Ability to motivate faculty and help them use data to inform instructional decisions
- Ability to set goals, manage strategy, and focus on tasks required to meet transformational goals
- Interpersonal skills to motivate and influence others to accomplish goals and make changes that may be in opposition to the school’s existing cultural norms and practices
- Self-confidence and resolve in decision-making and leadership
- A passionate belief in the capacity of all children to learn, a sense of urgency about making that real for CMSD students, and a personal sense of accountability for students’ success
- Practices creative disruption and takes calculated risks to achieve goals on behalf of students
- Undivided, relentless focus on student learning in the face of challenges and obstacles
- High tolerance for ambiguity and managing frustration and setbacks
- Personal qualities of grit, determination and resilience
- Master’s Degree Required
- Certification or eligibility for Alternative certification as required by Ohio Department of Education. For Alternative Principal eligibility requirements, please access the Ohio Department of Education at http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Teaching/Educator-Licensure/Resident-License-Options/Alternative-Principal-License
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL ALSO:
- Demonstrate success as an instructional and operational leader in an urban high school
- Have experience working with community stakeholders
- Have experience in school design and startup experience
- Have experience in budget preparation and management
- Have experience hiring, evaluating, motivating, and developing, and exiting staff
- Have at least 3 years of classroom teaching experience.
- Possess building or district level administrative experience strongly preferred
WHAT WE OFFER
CMSD offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, including dental and vision plans, life insurance, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, professional development, and contributions to the STRS/SERS retirement system. We also offer an inclusive environment where our staff is encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day.
TO APPLY Please submit your resume and application using our online Workday system using the following URL: https://clevelandmetroschools.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/jobs/job/John-Adams-High-School/Senior-High-Principal_R0003758
Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of all Screening & Interview Events, Professional Reference Checks, FBI/BCI background check and drug screen. At CMSD, we believe that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. CMSD provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.