EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, SCHOOL LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT (Columbus)
Columbus City Schools
October 29, 2014
SPECIAL FACTORS: This position specifically works with the district’s high school division. Candidate should also demonstrate knowledge of and experience with graduation requirements, post-secondary preparedness, dual enrollment, PSEO, and issues relative to high school and NCAA athletic eligibility
• Master’s degree in Education, Public Administration, Organizational Development, Training and Development or a related field.
• Seven (7) or more years of educational administrative experience, with a proven record of successfully working with diverse and economically disadvantaged populations
• Demonstrated knowledge and successful implementation of leadership development strategies.
• General knowledge of urban educational challenges as well as accrediting and regulatory standards and school funding related to assigned functions.
• Analytical ability to lead the design, implementation and management of large developmental programs.
• Demonstrated supervisory skills to effectively manage the daily operations and administration of assigned functions.
• Proven record of championing continuous learning and professional growth and demonstrated success of developing and retaining high performers.
• Excellent team building, coaching, facilitation and interpersonal skills with all levels in an organization.
• Personal demonstration of continuous learning.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively serve as a leader and member of a team.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including effective presentation skills.
• Provides strategic leadership to all school building administrators within an assigned division to create a high performing educational team.
• Ensures school building compliance with district goals and objectives, administrative procedures, board policy, State and Federal laws, and directives of the Superintendent. Initiates corrective action as necessary.
• Participates in the creation and execution of the district’s vision, mission, and strategic plan.
• Directs the day-to-day activities of assigned staff. Duties include hiring, training, counseling, and evaluating staff performance, and when necessary, disciplining and/or discharging staff.
• Works in conjunction with the other district leaders to: a) plan, organize, manage and evaluate all aspects of the teaching and learning process through leadership development of building administrators, and, b) plan, coordinate and facilitate professional development for principals, assistant principals, leadership interns.
• Functions as a “Leader of Leaders”. Motivates and develops high performing school administrators. Serves as a role model for effective human capital management that delivers measurable results toward the district’s goals and mission.
• Participates in planning, organizing, managing, and evaluating all aspects of the teaching and learning process through leadership development of building administrators.
• Provides leadership, direction, assistance, and support to building principals and staff in the implementation of a standards-based system of instruction, including the delivery of curriculum and instruction.
• Provides daily support to building administrators to ensure progress toward district goals. Supports an appropriate educational environment for district students and families.
• Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of the district’s continuous improvement plan and monitors the development, implementation, and evaluation of each school’s improvement plan.
• Assists in the evaluation, selection, and assignment of building level administrators and other decisions that impact individual school programs, in consultation with the Chief Academic Officer, Chief of Staff and the Superintendent.
• Participates in the development and implementation of a comprehensive feedback and assessment system to provide clear and useful data to drive decision-making in student learning, staff development, and improvement of teaching.
• Provides updates to the Chief Academic Officer, Chief of Staff, Superintendent, principals, school faculty, students, parents, community, and other appropriate parties on progress and concerns of schools in the district.
• Engages parents and community in active partnerships that support and enhance the academic goals of the district.
• Provides leadership and direct supervision of direct reports, including hiring, training, counseling, evaluating and when necessary, disciplining or discharging staff.
• Assists the Chief Academic Officer, Chief of Staff, and Superintendent with academic leadership workforce planning, by proposing school building administrator assignments, and building a succession plan to ensure a qualified candidate pool for senior level academic administrative positions.
• Attends all Board meetings, prepared to provide regular briefings on the plans and progress of academic leadership development.
• Maintains current knowledge of best practices, trends, new developments, legal mandates and court rulings related to education and academic practices, particularly in urban settings.
• Commits to being available for evening and weekend responsibilities, including school and district activities, as necessary.
• Is willing and able to lead a division of other building-level administrators in the future, should school divisions need to be reorganized.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, a resume including experience, qualifications, e-mail address, and three professional references.
Columbus City Schools
Victoria Frye, Interim Director
270 E. State Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215